Monday, November 17, 2014

FIRST. WEEK. IN. FIELD.

Hey everybody!

It has been a crazy week! First off, I got a new companion, Elder Bailey.  His name is Parker Bailey from Tennessee. I like him a lot! My new area is Barreiras. It's 15 hours from Salvador and we had to take a bus there. It was a long ride!!  We are a long ways from Salvador!!!!! And yes, Tanessa, we went right to work.


City of Barreriras


Brazilian Flag


View From the Apartment


Barreriras

Then we got hit with a big rainstorm and the ceiling leaks. It has rained 5 days here and the streets are all muddy. And when the sun is out, you can't even breathe. It's so hot!  Very very hot! Man, I wish it was that cold here. It is soooooo hot you wouldn't even believe how hot it is here. Especially after it rains and the sun comes up it almost cooks you to death. It is impossible to keep our shirts white and clothes clean. We sweat all day and the dirt here is red so it sticks and makes our shirts really dirty.  We have seen big tarantulas, lizards, frogs, and centipedes. There are a lot of bugs and I saw a dead frog half the size of my head the other day!  There was member with a turtle as a pet in their house that just wandered everywhere. There are chickens and stray dogs and people ride horses here. The houses have holes in the ceilings. There are poor and rich parts. And it sure makes me miss and love you guys a lot.


Rainy Days in Barreriras

It was cool yesterday, we got to church, and a guy named Francisco wanted baptized that day. I was able to baptize him on my first Sunday here. I ate cow feet last night for dinner!!! And we were walking on the street and there were people in a big circle and there was a body in the middle. I guess a teenager got shot by somebody. Everybody here is nice for the most part, especially the members!! There is not a temple here. The church is really small about 30 people came to church Sunday.


First Baptism 


The mission field is so much better than the CTM. I miss you guys a lot. The mission president said all letters have to be mailed to the mission home. I will get them every six weeks. The apartment is small and on the sixth floor. Our apartment has one nasty bathroom and two bed rooms. There are four of us to one apartment.  Members feed us a lot and are very nice!! I'm so lost with the language.  It's so hard.  I hardly understand anything. I haven't cooked yet and we have to pay for Internet here. But the mission will pay for that part.  I was able to get money to use through out the week. We have a toilet that flushes, our washing machine is broken right now, and if we don't get it fixed I will hand wash my clothes. Yes, we have a fridge. My bed is good but small. The other missionaries are a brazilian guy and a black kid from the states.   



Our Bedroom



Kitchen in Apartment


Home Sweet Home



Here's My Monster! 


We can drink the water in the apartment, we don't have to buy it.  And there are little stores all over the place.  It would be hard for somebody to break in.  I think each house has a locked sliding gate and the nice ones all have electric voltage running around them. I miss you guys a lot when I wake up in the mornings. Tell Kallee and Stephanie hello and I love them! 



Tanessa maybe login to my Faceboook and Instagram. People here have looked me up and added me so maybe you can accept their request. I think and pray for you guys a lot. Dad, I wish you and I were companions out here in the field.  I love you guys very very much and miss you guys soooo much. And I can't believe I got to baptize someone on my first Sunday here. That was really cool for me. Portuguese is very hard and everybody is always trying to talk to me and I have no clue what they are trying to say to me. I sure do appreciate you guys and all that everyone does for me. I can't wait until I can sleep in my own bed again and talk to you guys whenever I want to. 



My companion and I stick out like a sore thumb here. Two white guys in white shirts walking down dusty muddy roads with the locals staring at us. It is better to be out of the field but it can still be very discouraging cause all I can do right now is bear my testimony in Portuguese to the people.  I have met some good people though. My hair isn't too long yet. Maybe a week or two and I will get another haircut. I got it cut at the CTM before I left. There are some cool shops here. I bought a cool leather scripture case. It is kind of scary at night. We just avoid the dark spots! And I wish it was colder.  On Pday I think we can do whatever within bounds.  There is a little hill here my companion said we can climb sometime.  That would be cool!! We are going to teach a lesson today.  Most of all the food is good.  Rice and beans are with everything.  My companion only has 8 months left in the field.  My companion has been out over a year and hasn't had anything happen to him.
Ok guys,  we are about to leave here. The streets are safe I think for the most part. My companion has been in even more poor parts and he hasn't had problems. The members here feed us a lot and we have safe water in our apartment. I sure do miss you guys a lot at times. Good to hear everything at home is doing good. Take care of the animals. Tell Charlie, Grandpa and everybody I said hello. I love you guys, I pray for you guys, I love you all very much and look forward to the day I can see you all again. Mom, maybe you could throw in a egg omelet pan if it isn't to heavy..... but if it's to heavy don't worry about it. And maybe a small thing of contact solution just in case I run out and can't find any. I still haven't even used my little bottle of contact solution yet and there are pans here, so if it weighs too much it's not a big deal at all. I love you guys. Tell Grandpa he better stick around and that I miss him a bunch! 

If I run out of supplies there are shops all over the place here to buy stuff. Every time we go to Salvador we have to do the 15 hour bus ride. That's why we can only go there every six weeks.  I can't wait to be able to call or skype home. I have to go now.  Hope you got some pictures finally. We are going to the market to get milk and eggs and food right now.

Talk to you guys next Pday. Love you all very much. Be safe, until next time. Love you.
Elder Nickerson

Here are some pictures from the CTM.  Finally. 










No comments:

Post a Comment